Canopy Real Estate Institute has suspended all in-person instruction due to COVID-19. Read more.
Currently Prelicensing courses are offered virtually.
- Classes are presented using Zoom technology.
- Download the Zoom app to your desktop or laptop. Click here for Zoom online support.
- You can also chat live with the Zoom support team within your Zoom account, or call 1-888-799-9666 ext. 2.
- Click here for the complete list of technical requirements to take an online course.
Class tuition is $429 and includes all course materials, the end-of-course exam, virtual drop-in tutoring and post-course exam reviews.
Early-bird pricing is available!
Take advantage of our early-bird pricing! Save $40 by registering at least five days before classes begin.
Added-value when you take Prelicensing with Canopy:
Free virtual drop-in tutoring sessions
Canopy Real Estate Institute offers drop-in tutor session for three hours every week. Sessions are open format (drop-in) and staffed by licensed instructors. Canopy Real Estate Institute Prelicensing students are able to just drop in with questions or to receive help with a specific topic.
Free post-course exam reviews (virtual)
These formal review sessions are held after you complete the Prelicensing program. The sessions focus on license law as well as current areas that students struggle with on the state exam.
Students must successfully complete a Broker Prelicensing course and pass both portions (state and national) of the licensing exam to obtain a North Carolina real estate license.
Be sure to understand the attendance and course completion requirements.
Broker Prelicensing students must attend a minimum of 90 percent of all scheduled classroom hours. Broker Prelicensing students cannot miss more than eight (8) hours of scheduled classroom hours.
Students cannot miss the first scheduled Broker Prelicensing class. Students missing the first scheduled Prelicensing class will be required to reschedule to another Prelicensing course.
These requirements apply for course repeats as well.
Students cannot make up missed time due to lateness or absences. Please ensure that you can attend 90 percent of class hours at a minimum before registering for a class.
- Purchase the required textbook at The Realtor® Store Registered Canopy Real Estate Institute students can call the Realtor® Store at 704-940-3126 to place their order.
- Required textbook: North Carolina Real Estate Principles & Practices 8th Edition/ISBN# 9781629802602
- We’ll provide you with hard copies and emailed copies of:
- Canopy Student notebook
- NC License Law & Commission Rules booklet
- Real Estate Licensing in North Carolina booklet and other materials.
- You’ll also need a simple calculator, a highlighter and a pad for notes.
State testing information
View the exam candidate bulletin for the North Carolina license examination.
After you pass the North Carolina real estate licensing exam:
• Affiliate with a firm and activate your license.
• Complete three 30-hour Postlicensing courses within 18 months.
• Complete eight hours of continuing education by June 10 each year after your first renewal to remain active.
Annual School Performance Report from the North Carolina Real Estate Commission
For the reporting period July 2019-March 2020 license year, Canopy Real Estate Institute had a performance report of 66%. This performance data represents first-time examination candidates taking the "Combined" exam (both National and State sections) within 30 days of completing the Prelicensing course at Canopy Real Estate Institute. The cumulative performance for all private real estate schools during this reporting period was 66%.
For the reporting period July 2019-June 2020 license year, Canopy Real Estate Institute had a performance report of 62%. This performance data represents first-time examination candidates taking the "Combined" exam (both National and State sections) within 30 days of completing the Prelicensing course at Canopy Real Estate Institute. The cumulative performance for all private real estate schools during this reporting period was 61%.