The North Carolina Real Estate Commission (NCREC) Commissioners approved a set of temporary emergency procedures due to COVID-19 for real estate schools and course sponsors effective March 26, 2020.
Here are some key points from the rules:
- Schools and course sponsors must cancel or suspend all in-person courses until April 30, 2020.
- For the first time ever, schools and course sponsors will be able to offer online synchronous distance learning continuing education, prelicensing and postlicensing courses. Synchronous distance learning requires that the student and instructor can communicate in a real-time environment, and that student attendance can be monitored.
- The Commission will grant an automatic 90-day extension to brokers who have not completed CE by June 10. No request form is needed.
- The Commission will grant an automatic extension through September 30, 2020, to brokers who have not completed postlicensing. No request form is needed.
- Schools will be able to allow students to make up prelicensing and postlicensing hours by attending another course of the same type by the same school; however, the make-up hours attended by the student must cover the same content that the student missed.
- Prelicensing and postlicensing end-of-course examination requirements will be waived.
Canopy Real Estate Institute now has online synchronous distance learning classes available for the GENUP/BICUP and postlicensing.
We are currently communicating with our students who are enrolled in classes to let them know their options, what to expect, and what technology will be required if they elect to take a synchronous distance learning course. All students also have the option for a full refund for any scheduled classes.
Students will not be required to complete courses via synchronous distance learning if they prefer to complete courses at a later date via in-person classes when they are available.
We will work with all of our students to ensure they are able to find a solution that works for them and that they are able to finish their courses.
We will stay in contact with updates and additional information. Thank you for your patience.